Two large volcanic islands, Savai’i and Upolu, and seven small islands covered by lush tropical rainforest.
Annual Growth: 0.00%
Official language: Samoan; English
Largest Religion: Christian
Samoans have been Christian for over a century, and every village has at least one church. But the traditional class structure and pre-Christian cultural standards were not necessarily transformed by the gospel. Much of the Church suffers from nominalism, and rivalry among denominations does not generate a good spiritual atmosphere. Pride and politics influence church life too much, and the financial demands
(Source: Operation World)
Samoa has played a huge part in the last 150 years in the missional advancement of the Gospel through the nations of the Pacific and beyond. Although over 90% of Samoa attend churches, there is an alarming number of Samoans that have converted to either cults, and have become missionaries with these such organisations, whilst there is a growing percentage of Samoans who are deconverting, becoming disgruntled at the financial obligations and burdens presented to those who are already financially oppressed in some cultural perspectives within certain church traditions.
At Every Nation Brisbane, we recognise what God has done and continues to do in the beautiful Pacific Island nation of Samoa, and recognise the freedom that Christ offers the nation. Our hope is to play our part in seeing the restoration of the nations motto become a realisation: “Fa’avae i le Atua Samoa” (Samoa is Founded on God)
Prayer for Samoa
- Pray for God’s provision for the unemployed and underemployed in rural areas.
- Pray for sound Biblical teaching: The Gospel would be prevalent and the exposure of errors of false doctrines.
- Pray for church leaders across all denominations – unity in seeing the Christ’s Kingdom advance.
- Pray that the government would see and commit to God’s beautiful plan for the nation of Samoa, and that God’s wisdom and compassion would exude from a place of governmental integrity and selflessness.
- Pray that those who are nominal in the Christian faith would be awakened to God’s love and purpose for their lives, and be activated by the gospel.
- Pray for our continued missional activity in serving Samoa and existing organisations that tirelessly serve where there is marginalisation, abuse and injustice.
- Pray that God would lead us to play our part alongside Samoan churches that are intentionally reaching and discipling Samoan millennials with the gospel.